Getting To & From School
Kiss and ride guidelines, dismissal procedures, safety patrols and more
Arrival and Dismissal
Kiss and Ride: The safety and security of our students is our number one priority. We have well-established guidelines that ensure all students get to and from Flint Hill safely. These guidelines were distributed in your first week packets. In consideration of our school’s policy, we ask that all parents kindly respect our request to not arrive to school before 8:30 am. As many of you are aware, we do not have staff at our Kiss and Ride, or our front door, until 8:35 am. This is when our doors open. We recognize that our families have busy work schedules to attend to, and the morning commute can be a bit hectic, but the safety of our students is our shared concern. When children are left unattended, we can not guarantee their safety. Please help us with this matter by extending your patience for cars who are waiting for Kiss and Ride to officially begin at 8:35 am, and note that many of the parents whose cars are idling have little ones who need support in finding their way to class. We know it is not always possible to ride the bus, but we highly encourage taking advantage of this form of transportation if it is afforded to you. Thank you, in advance, for your consideration.
Kiss and Ride Guidelines
- All children are encouraged to ride the bus, walk or bike to FHES. Kiss & Ride is a community service provided by the school. For the safety of your children, it is vital that the following rules for loading and unloading students by are followed.
- Do not arrive before 8:30 a.m. for drop off or 3:25 p.m. for pickup.
- Follow all directions given by staff and patrols.
- Load and unload students in the Kiss & Ride area ONLY.
- Load and unload students from the passenger side only for safety.
- Remain in the drivers seat at all times.
- Be ready to load and unload quickly.
- Exit promptly after loading or unloading.
- At times, staff will direct Kiss & Ride traffic to pull forward into the bus lane. Please remember to pull forward as far as possible.
- When leaving Kiss & Ride, a right turn only is recommended.
Cars may not enter/exit the SACC parking lot from 8:30-8:45 a.m. or from 3:10 p.m. until dismissal of the last bus. Parents will be directed to Kiss & Ride.
- At dismissal time, parents are asked to not arrive prior to 3:25 p.m. You may stand in the covered areas at Exits 1 and 2 in front of the building, or wait out back at the Kindergarten door. Please remain quiet as school is still in session. To avoid confusion, please designate in advance where you will meet your child. The following is the order of dismissal: After-school activities, Flint Hill Rd / Lakevale walkers, Kiss & Ride, and bike riders. Bus riders are dismissed next. Vale Rd walkers and SACC students are dismissed last.
- We require all adults and students to cooperate fully with the safety patrols, as they are on duty to help prevent accidents and keep us all safe. Contact the Main Office 703-242-6100 with any questions or concerns about safety.
Going Home with Friends
- If your child wishes to go home with a friend, the parent/guardian of both children must complete the online Transportation Change form or write notes to the office giving permission. This applies to all bus riders, walkers, and car riders. Include the bus number on the note. Note: Please send paper copy of note or complete the online form. Do not send information via email.
- If the bus is late in arriving at the stop in the morning, do not assume that it is not coming. Depending on weather conditions, children should wait 20-30 minutes. After that, instruct your children to return home, go to a neighbor's house, or continue to wait. Students should not accept a ride to school unless prior permission from a parent/guardian is given. Unless it is a state of emergency, or the schools have been closed, a bus will be sent as soon as can be arranged. If a bus does not arrive in the morning, please call FCPS Transportation at 703-249-7100. If your child misses the bus, they should report directly to the office upon arrival. ***Please note: Kindergarten students riding afternoon school buses are to be met at the bus door and asked for by name by a parent, guardian, or student in middle school or higher. If there is no one there to meet the child at the door, or the student feels unsafe for any reason, the driver will return the student to school.
Bicycles & Scooters
- Riding bicycles or scooters to school is permitted for all students with written permission from a parent or guardian. Permission forms are available in the school office. Bicycles and scooters are not to be ridden on the school grounds. They must be parked in a bike rack and locked for safety. The school is not responsible for this equipment.
Lindel Lane Cul-de-sac
- This is a walking area, not a Kiss & Ride zone. Walkers coming from the cul-de-sac should stay on the track and not walk through the field.